Skip to main content

GUEST POST: Brown is the New Black


A little guest post love + a male fashion perspective from my new blogger friend, Scott Wicken of sigtweedandcorduroy.com! Enjoy:

***
While it certainly is never prudent to go against a Sicilian when death is on the line, it is imperative to listen to an Italian when it comes to things style-related.  To wit, some excellent advice from designer Domenicio Vacca on the merits of the brown shoe:
"Many Americans have this idea that if you put on a dress shoe, it has to be black. But Italians—and I myself, especially—very rarely wear black shoes, except for very formal occasions like weddings and funerals. I’m almost always in brown shoes, because they just work with everything.  The beauty of brown shoes is that all the different shades let you communicate something about your personality—you tell the world you have a sense of play and character just by putting something on your feet."
I, too, am a firm believer that black shoes should only be reserved for tuxedos, funerals, and the occasional formal charcoal suit.  I have always tried to champion the cause of brown shoes in both formal and informal dressing.  Infinitely more versatile and interesting, brown not only gives you options in terms of shades of color, it also gives you the chance to develop the shoe’s character.  If well maintained, the patina that develops over the course of years only adds depth and personality; it becomes a distinct and visual representation of your ownership. 


Given we live and work in a world where dress codes are increasingly murky, it makes perfect sense for the well-dressed gentleman to invest in a supremely versatile shoe, and there is no finer, more versatile shoe than a perfect brown wingtip.  This wardrobe workhorse can pair with everything from your navy power suit to your favorite pair of jeans and a V-neck sweater.  Chinos and a navy blazer?  You bet. Dressed up or dressed down, a brown wingtip always works; it’s the Swiss Army knife of your shoe rotation.  Lighter shades of brown like cognac, while inherently more casual, become a great way to add a bolder, more European touch to an otherwise classic navy or gray suit or.  “But wait, I should even wear brown shoes with my gray suits?” you’re no doubt wondering, “...but don’t the rules say black shoes with gray suits?”  Not any more, good sir, not anymore.  Brown shoes with anything and everything.

Shopping-wise, a great brown shoe can be found at nearly any price point.  Here are a few of my favorites, all are tremendously versatile and work with a variety of wardrobe items.

The Gold Standard:
Allen Edmonds McCallister


Additional Essentials:
The Bass Weejun Penny Loafer

So gents, invest in your brown shoes, pair with confidence, and bring your sartorial game up a new level...do as the Italians do.

photo credit:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe closet love.

I will be the first to stand up and admit that I have a fabulous husband. Not only is he smart, funny, creative and patient, but he's pretty darned hot too! I still consider us newlyweds (and probably will for quite some time), because we're always doing thoroughly silly stuff for one another--keepin' things fresh, fun and surprising, ya know? Here's one of my fave pics of us, taken a few years ago during our engagement photoshoot. Good times. That being said, I was still simply breath-taken when I came home from a way-too-long day of work and found that my sweet beau had used his furlough day (yes, it's not just a vicious rumor that we have those all over the place in the state of CA) to transform our hall coat closet into none other than a shoe closet . You heard me right... shoe closet = every girl's dream, ya? We don't really use our hall coat closet anyway, living in such a warm southern California city, so I was thrilled to actually put this space to

Long time, no type.

You guys. Has it seriously been a full YEAR since I've typed up a blog post on here? That is both depressing and encouraging. Depressing--because I feel like I have forgotten about my first "child" my Holly in Heels blog. Encouraging--because it means that I have been suuuper busy with other fun and creative projects, like my continued PR and media copywriting, contributions to Coyote + Oak magazine out of San Luis Obispo, as well as Locale Magazine 's newest San Francisco addition. I have to admit that while these other (paying) jobs keep me busy and on my toes, I do stop and think about my former life as a fashion and lifestyle blogger, and how I miss the creative outlet. To be able to write about whatever topic I choose is certainly a gift. Writing is also therapeutic for me--this blog is like a friend. Like the kind you can call up anytime, talk about the deep stuff and then mention this new conditioner you tried...and then switch back to the meaning of lif

Pour la GIVEAWAY!

I'm a sucker for free stuff. Who isn't? Especially when it's SHOES. Anyone with me?...ya, pretty sure ya are. Well, I'm jumpin' for joy as I write this post, because Miss Holly in Heels herself has been asked to partner up with a super-fabulous shoe company called Pour La Victoire . Maybe you've heard of 'em? If you haven't heard of the lovely PLV's then listen up--because this shoe co. is one hot commodity! You can find Pour La Victoire's at top-notch retailers like Piperlime , Nordies , Zappos , Bloomies and Saks , and known for their chic and classic style in high-high-heel makin' and designin'. Pour La Victoire's 'victorious' fashions are not only known as the “next big thing” but have also skyrocketed in popularity among socialites, and celebs. High-fashion fans like Anne Hathaway, Rachel Weisz and Alexa Chung have made public appearances sporting their fave PLV heels, boots and sandals. I'm talking $100+ shoes an