Skip to main content

Mai Tais & High Heels

Packing for a vacation is hard. It just is! As a woman, you never quite know what you're going to feel like wearing once you get to your destination, what the weather will really be like, what sort of fancy-pants dinners you'll be heading out on--or if you're just going to spend the entire week on the sand living in your bathing suit. Welllll, all of this to say that I'm off to Maui this week for the wedding of one of my best friends, and the shoe-packing has been quite a challenge! That's right, my hub & I have turned this Hawaiian event into our big summer vacation and will be trading in our week of work & daily grind for a few mai tais and a nice tan. I had to share with you the 4 pairs of shoes (gasp!) that I plan on packin' away with me--it's super casual-land in Maui, so I tried to keep that in mind. Whatcha think?!

I dig with a passion my Reef 'Ugandal' sandals--great t-strap and tan leather that makes my legs look simply sun-kissed (hence they're purrrfect Hawaii beach shoes!). The colorful papery beads on these cuties are made by women in Uganda, who are trained jewelry designers, and are encouraged to make a better life for their families by providing a market for their jewelry--part of a project started by 31 Bits. 31 Bits carries tons of cute necklaces and bracelets too (many of which I own and love!).
Also in the sandalia category, I'm definitely packin' away with me my white & gold-studded Cynthia Vincent sandals from Target. Such. A. Deal. You might remember my Cynthia Vincent for Target purchase back in April (I still feel my heart jump up and down every time I think about scorin' these amazing wedges)! I think the gold embellishment on these puppies just adds that extra day-to-night look for flat sandals.

I just can't leave on a vacation without red shoes. It's like an unsaid rule in my shoe-lover brainy brain. So I'm also taking wedges similar to these (below) that I found on a killer sale a few summers ago at a little shop in my central CA hometown. They're just enough color to spice up an outfit--even with my new army green short-shorts!

Finally, these BP. Platinum 'Empire' sandals are my fabulous bridesmaid shoes (which make a great double as my out-to-a-nice-dinner shoes, I must say!). I will admit to you that I picked these out for all of us b-maids (who else would you expect to do it, right?!), and they're quite a hit. Comfy beyond belief and just the right height--and a lovely shade of not-too-shimmery gold.

As far as keepin' the sun outta my eyes, I made this fedora purchase at Target yesterday--which I know I won't regret. Super cute to roll out of bed, throw on my head, and head down to the beach!

Well, that's that, I'm off to Aloha-land. Awww, don't worry...you have my high heel giveaway to keep you busy. Enter, enter, enter. Mahalo!

xoxo,
holly in heels

Comments

  1. I love the Ugandal sandals! I have a necklace made out of Ugandan recycled paper, like those sandals have, that I got from lightgivesheat.com (shopSUUBI). While I do love them, I wish you would have mentioned the war in Uganda. Yes, the women are trained to create jewelry, but that is mainly because they needed to, to provide for their families. Many of the women lost their husbands to either AIDS or the war. They need an income to put their kids in school so that they can become future leaders and create a country of peace and love, not one of war, like it's been since Kony began his child-soldier army 25 years ago.
    Not to rant, or get crazy, but ending the war is something I'm super involved in with Invisible Children, and I just think we need to take every opportunity we can get to educate people on the war because it is almost never publicized and almost no one knows about. Using the sandal to briefly mention the war and the millions still suffering from it could do a lot of good, because you have a lot of followers, and maybe some of them would become involved to end it.
    Sorry if that sounds rude. It's just I've become super involved and want to try to get the word out about is as much as possible.
    I do love the Fedora too! =]

    -Vern

    ReplyDelete
  2. The CV for Target collection was so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the red wedges and I must go to Target and find that fedora! So chic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart still aches that I couldn't find a pair of the CV for target wedges in my size! I still troll around ebay for them. I know exactly what you mean about packing, and I hope you have a fabulous time in Hawaii!!

    xoxo, Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed you're only taking 4 pairs of shoes! I went to the Caribbean two weeks ago and took 7 pairs I think. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a terrible overpacker but flat sandals are an absolute must for me!
    xo Josie
    http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanna let you know about my newest blog feature, please read about it and let me know what you think! Thank you so much! <3

    http://fraupixiedust.blogspot.com/2010/08/i-challenge-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. And here I was thinking...ONLY 4 pairs?!!? But I think you'll make it with these picks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The CV white & gold sandals are adorable. Who would have thought such a cute pair at Target! Live and learn. Hope you have a great time and maybe a second honeymoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE those white CVs too! I wear mine all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vous postes sont absolument incroyable et je ne l'aime vraiment

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go on, leave some shoe-love!
xoxo

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe closet love.

I will be the first to stand up and admit that I have a fabulous husband. Not only is he smart, funny, creative and patient, but he's pretty darned hot too! I still consider us newlyweds (and probably will for quite some time), because we're always doing thoroughly silly stuff for one another--keepin' things fresh, fun and surprising, ya know? Here's one of my fave pics of us, taken a few years ago during our engagement photoshoot. Good times. That being said, I was still simply breath-taken when I came home from a way-too-long day of work and found that my sweet beau had used his furlough day (yes, it's not just a vicious rumor that we have those all over the place in the state of CA) to transform our hall coat closet into none other than a shoe closet . You heard me right... shoe closet = every girl's dream, ya? We don't really use our hall coat closet anyway, living in such a warm southern California city, so I was thrilled to actually put this space to

Long time, no type.

You guys. Has it seriously been a full YEAR since I've typed up a blog post on here? That is both depressing and encouraging. Depressing--because I feel like I have forgotten about my first "child" my Holly in Heels blog. Encouraging--because it means that I have been suuuper busy with other fun and creative projects, like my continued PR and media copywriting, contributions to Coyote + Oak magazine out of San Luis Obispo, as well as Locale Magazine 's newest San Francisco addition. I have to admit that while these other (paying) jobs keep me busy and on my toes, I do stop and think about my former life as a fashion and lifestyle blogger, and how I miss the creative outlet. To be able to write about whatever topic I choose is certainly a gift. Writing is also therapeutic for me--this blog is like a friend. Like the kind you can call up anytime, talk about the deep stuff and then mention this new conditioner you tried...and then switch back to the meaning of lif

Pour la GIVEAWAY!

I'm a sucker for free stuff. Who isn't? Especially when it's SHOES. Anyone with me?...ya, pretty sure ya are. Well, I'm jumpin' for joy as I write this post, because Miss Holly in Heels herself has been asked to partner up with a super-fabulous shoe company called Pour La Victoire . Maybe you've heard of 'em? If you haven't heard of the lovely PLV's then listen up--because this shoe co. is one hot commodity! You can find Pour La Victoire's at top-notch retailers like Piperlime , Nordies , Zappos , Bloomies and Saks , and known for their chic and classic style in high-high-heel makin' and designin'. Pour La Victoire's 'victorious' fashions are not only known as the “next big thing” but have also skyrocketed in popularity among socialites, and celebs. High-fashion fans like Anne Hathaway, Rachel Weisz and Alexa Chung have made public appearances sporting their fave PLV heels, boots and sandals. I'm talking $100+ shoes an